Thursday, September 9, 2004

EXTEND THE ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN

On the same subject as the previous post - if/when you get tired of hitting the White House comment line's redial button, you want to take some other action - try this link, from the Violence Policy Center.  They will send a letter to Bush, your senators and congresspeople, it's totally easy and fast.  I don't know how this snuck up on me - I've signed the petition that the NRA Blacklist people (do you know them?  great blacklist to be on, in decidedly good company. the site is worth a visit for the music alone.  makes me laugh every time.  through my tears.) put out some time ago. But nothing beats personal voicing of opinion from a voter.  The NRA certainly knows this.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK - ignore my question about email.  I'll just click this link!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link, Mari!  I'm feeling sick and discouraged knowing this will probably fail...but we have to try!  I'm on that Blacklist, too.  One of our wingnut journal "friends" attacked me once for having their link in my sidebar, that's the only time I've ever been angry enough to ban someone.  A couple hours later, I "flip-flopped" my descision, determined NOT to let him betray my tolerance for free speech, no matter how stupid that speech might be  ;)

Anonymous said...

His followers will still blindly follow him.  No matter what he does.  No matter what lies he tells.  No matter how many thousands of people die because of his inaction.  Go figure.

That UnHappy Chica,
Marcia Ellen

Anonymous said...

As you and your readers know, the ban expired today.  Letting it lapse was purely political of course.  Bush, as always, was talking from two sides of his mouth.  He says he will sign an extension but didn't lobby for Congress to extend it, obviously as a nod to his NRA pals.

Not only did he let the ban expire, he also proposed a deep cut to the COPS program which provides funds for localities to hire police officers, from the present funding of $482 million to $97 million next year.  That is a deadly combination.