Sunday, June 5, 2005

ONE PLANET, ONE PEOPLE

Well, my my - global warming is making the welcome screen at AOL!  Looks like the most important issue of the day has finally moved from eco-geekdom to the mass market. The article is reporting on a new atlas from the U.N. on the occasion of  World Environment Day, hosted for the first time in the USA, in San Francisco.

Changing Planet Revealed in Atlas

The devastating impact of mankind on the planet is dramatically illustrated in pictures published Saturday showing explosive urban sprawl, major deforestation and the sucking dry of inland seas over less than three decades.

The atlas is composed of satellite photos of the planet, taken over the past three decades.  It's graphic evidence of the changes we have wrought, most of which amount to devastation. 

"If there is one message from this atlas, it is that we are all part of this. We can all make a difference," U.N. expert Kaveh Zahedi told reporters at the launch of the "One Planet Many People" atlas on the eve of World Environment Day. 

This title may be too one-worldish for many in today's political atmosphere, but it is the only true message.  This is something everyone now breathing needs to heed and start taking action.  Here is one action that may or may not call some national attention to the issue of global warming.  It is a virtual march on Washington, and you can check it out hereIf you decide to sign up for the march, please do me a favor and do so via this link, which is my personal page.  This will credit me with having spread the word about this action.  I'd like to at least catch upwith Leonardo DiCaprio in number of "friends" signed on.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe I have the honor of being your first friend registered.  Let's get loud girlfriend!!!

Anonymous said...

I want to help you catch up to Leo, but isn't Global Warming something people just made up?  I think Rush Limbaugh told me that or something. We really need to get the word out on this. Oh, don't forget to email me about the Peak Oil video.

TTFN,

dave

Anonymous said...

Mari,

I just sent a huge email out to everyone and anyone to get the word out on this. This is really exciting. Let's hope it does some good.

dave

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing Rosie's thoughtful letter -- and thank you for renewing my hope in the possibility for meaningful, respectful civic discourse in this country.  I am filled with gratitude for all that you do.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting Rosie's thoughtful letter.  And thank you for restoring my hope that meaningful civic discourse is possible in this divided country.  Praise goes to the newspaper editors for doing the right thing -- and praise to your family and friends for your public witness!