Monday, September 29, 2003

like a tunnel that you follow

what a crappy weekend.  i'm actually glad it's over.  i felt like dirt most of the weekend, physically and spiritually. spent a lot of it crying and way too little sleeping.  G got away from my bad vibes by going to the beach with peg, good for her.  i don't know what the deal is.  i get so totally exhausted during the teaching week.  and everything feels like such a dead end right now.  but this was a good morning of classes, both classes felt like something was happening in the students' heads.  then i met with a couple of my students' tutors, also productive.  one of the tutors is korean, but alas, speaks no korean.  she'd be worth twice her weight in gold if she spoke the english she does and spoke equivalent korean.  i wonder if she is an adoptee, or if her family has been here for a while.  it makes me very glad R is having melissa tutored in chinese.  when she grows up she will still have linguistic access to her heritage.  both these tutors i met with today are great young women, and i am seeing real improvement in the students with whom they are working. 

dashed around after i finally left the campus, went to RB to pick up a new filter and chemicals for the hot tub.  then to the supermarket to fill our sad empty fridge and cupboards.  then home to scrub out the hot tub and start filling it.  it's full now, but won't be heated up enough to enjoy until tomorrow night.  the occasion for all this activity is the change in the weather.  which started last night.  cool days, sweatshirts!  flannel shirts!  cooler nights, quilts!  flannel sheets!  the weather i've been longing for is here at last.  maybe my bad vibes will diminish with the cooler temps.  we had a brief spate of this a couple of weeks ago, but it was a false alarm.  the heat and humidity returned.  it's late september, almost october.  really and truly time for fall. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well,I feel as if I have stumbled into my own journal here! Very odd. I teach English as well--only this year to high school kids who for the most part started with English. But do i EVER HEAR YOU ON THE TIRED PART. What's the deal? School just started! Does reading your writing count for me making a journal entry? I don't have a hot tub, but all the rest....yep, it counts tonight! Thanks and keep underlining, bolding, italicizing the good parts of your life

Anonymous said...

An assignment for the teacher-what's a blog?

Anonymous said...

Well, my weekend was a bit of a downer, too. I think the sun, moon and stars were mis-aligned. I think my biorythum was on the downswing. I think Murphy (of Murphy's Law) was sleeping underneath the couch cushions.

When this happens, the only thing to do is to pamper you. For me, that's a good movie or a book, me bed, me blanky and something tasty to eat.