Thursday, November 6, 2003

final thoughts, for now, on marriage

read previous two entries first.

so we made it through.  still unmarried.  still not interested in getting married, still kind of enjoying our outlaw status as a lesbian couple.  living outside the law, as it were.  i guess that's what outlaw means, huh?

and today more than ever aware of all human fragility.  of the need not to wait for a time "down the road" to make things right, to repair fissures we have created in the human fabric by our errors in judgment.  there is a blog out there in the blogoverse called "nobody knows anything."  and more and more as life goes on i see that this is the only true statement.  nobody really knows anything.  we do the best we can.  we make mistakes.  we go on. 

bad prose! endless reams of bad prose!    this has been a more confessional day than i am likely to have again soon.  although i will continue to muse upon this whole subject. it seems to have captured the imaginations of all realms of society: same sex unions, gay marriage  -  good? bad? necessary? evil? a necessary evil? our right as citizens? an intolerable excess? a chink in the armor of all decent persons? a simple realization of equality????????  

or, perhaps, as it often seems to me: a red herring to distract us from so many other enormous issues facing us as a society, a nation, a world, a planet?  although i am a member of this minority, i see the saving of the planet from the hideous environmental crimes being visited upon it by this administration and its corporate allies as a far more important issue.  if there is not water, soil, air to support life for future generations it won't matter a whit if they are married or not.  will it?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! I think you're right on this being a minor issue in the whole scheme of things. I also think your right on marriage being a religious, not a secular issue. But yeah, first one wants rights, then, before you know it, everybody wants rights.

Anonymous said...

I hope you have called your friend from the past--you need to. Sorry--I can't make that sentence end in anything other than a preposition--sorry English Teacher ; )

Anonymous said...

(Part 2)
Same-sex marriage is, to me, a political statement; heterosexual marriage is an acceptance of the status quo. Since, to me, marriage is political, I don't see it as distracting from other issues...I'm interested in addressing imbalances in our society, whatever these may be, and there is no fixed hierarchy as to which takes precedence over others. They're all important.

Anonymous said...

(Part 1)
I support same-sex marriage, and I'm against the institution of heterosexual marriage as it is currently understood. I know that probably sounds strange, but I see marriage as a political issue (it's a social institution, after all).

Anonymous said...

Well spoken, girl!! A highly transparent piece of writing.

I think it's gay marriage is an important issue if people desire to marry or not. If you choose not to fine. But to have NO choice is just wrong in a country that claims to have equal rights for all.

There may be other issues that are important also. But I'll be damned if I'm going to sit still and have my country's leader tell me I'm abhorrant because I'm gay. No way!! Not today, not tomorrow, not ever.