Monday, December 8, 2003

no subject, just jottings

i've been reading out on the web, news and commentary.  and also IM'ing with a friend in DC who shares my political outrage and feelings of angry helplessness.  she's just read a book called Sleeping With The Devil, which i thought might be about Laura Bush, but is about our friendship with the Saudis.  i need to check into it some more, but it certainly got her mojo working.  good to have an internet rant like that. 

life is very busy right now, i'm working on a couple of things i want to post here, but i'm too scattered until finals and grades are over.  anyway, i don't know why i want to work on political posts.  the most comments i've yet gotten, i think, came from the silly little thing about johnny depp and his people mag cover!  frivolity sells, i see. 

yesterday we drove to annapolis to go shopping at Whole Foods, it was a bright cold day and a drive through the snowfields was a lovely thing.  so was Whole Foods, such a better foodshopping experience than, say, Food Lion.  we don't have a lot of local choices, for clean and healthy foods.  during the summer we grow our own veggies and don't eat much meat, but now i'm making soups and stews, winter foods.  as we drove home the moon rose over the chesapeake, huge and full and brilliant, in a sunset sky of mauve, pink and deep blue.  ah, cosmology, how we have lost a sense of wonder.  looking at that moon, that lovely sky, i thought....how could we not worship a heavenly object of such radiant powerful beauty?...not see the moon as goddess, divine entity, beseech her for favors, sing and dance on her feast days? it was all i could do to tear my eyes away and keep us from going off the bay bridge.  so, fulfilling hunting and gathering and a divine experience.  on a cold and windy sunday evening.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud (for real) when I read your comment about Laura B. My husband had to stop his DVD to ask me what was so funny!

Anonymous said...

I love Whole Foods! The only problem, is that the closest one to me is about 35 miles away! :(
Your winter cooking sounds yummy! Still catching up on blogs this week as I've worked a lot of overtime, so I'll get to more comments soon!

Anonymous said...

Our winter moon is the brightest of the year because then the earth's tilt exposes more of the vast Antarctic continent to the sun's rays. The Antarctic serves as a giant reflecting glass diverting the rays onto the Moon. The first full-moon after the winter solstice, with its lush luminous glow, is when I let my pagan heart frolic. The sun's light may grow dimmer, but goddess Moon more than compensates for its absence.

Anonymous said...

so, tim dude, i wish you'd create your own aol journal and write your
heart out. you'll be frolicking in acapulco by that full moon, won't you?
we'd all love to have a voice from the mexican resort giving us a vicarious
vacation through the winter. c'mon, think about it.

Anonymous said...

Where I live (Los Angeles), we're fortunate to have an abundance of good markets: Whole Foods, Wild Oats, Trader Joe's, Bristol Farms. My bf is vegetarian and I've definitely started eating healthier because of him. My best moon experience was at 14 years old, when the moon loomed like a huge dome in the horizon. It was the most stunning thing I've ever seen