Tuesday, December 9, 2003

today's big political news: Gore hearts Dean for Prez

i'm not going to say a lot about al gore's endorsement of dean, but it's the happening thing today.  bruce has a very good two part article about it on Old Hickory and i advocate you go read his comments.  i admire and respect al gore, and will take his endorsement into account when primary time comes around.  my heart and soul remain with dennis k., he's been my candidate since long before he even announced. i've suggested him on every questionnaire the DNC or Nancy Pelosi send me, i've talked him up to my friends and relations.  the sad truth remains true, he won't get the votes, the endorsements, the financial whammy, to become the actual presidential candidate.  i wish this were the world where that could happen. it ain't. 

instead of my commentary, i'll give you molly ivins', another good old texas gal, endorsement of...yes, howard dean.  which may actually matter more to me than gore's.  her heart is also with dennis.  she's voted for losers all her political life (yep), and she feels this time it's more important to vote for a winner than to vote for the candidate of her dreams.  and that's what it's going to come down to.  picking a winner and seeing to it that he (i don't say "he or she" because i think moseley braun is already out of the realistic field of dreamers) gets total support and backing and just, goddamn it, wins. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you're right about Kucinich.
:(
But, maybe sometime in the near future, he'll have a better chance! Thanks for the great link to the Molly Ivins piece.

Anonymous said...

If the playing field was not completely out of whack (most of the Democrats are to the right of the Richard Nixon platform of 1968), the Kooch would probably be the Democratic nominee.

One positive for Dean: he won't be pushed around. He'll stand up to the negative attacks that are coming.
One negative: the media has already painted him as hot-tempered -- sorta unstable.
I like the idea of DEAN/EDWARDS!

Anonymous said...

Your last line is so true. As an active Democrat, a past-president of my local LGBT-Democratic Club, I actually like all of the canidates. I could live with any one of them as President, including Sharpton and Mosely Braun. Dean is not my first choice, but he's not a bad choice and I have no problem working for his election. Gore's message is a clear one: the Democrats must forego a protracted Primary season if they're going to win in November. It's a message I agree with.

Anonymous said...

Gore's endorsement of Dean was a stunning about face re his former moderate liberal stand. I'm glad he's coming home to the true roots of his political party.