Tuesday, June 8, 2004

"ONE OF LIFE'S MOST AWESOME ASSEMBLAGES'

NORTHERN FUR SEALS    (Picture from Nature Conservancy Magazine)

Another story about the interconnectedness of all things in nature, and how our particular species (the human) is not doing a great job of fitting in.  My monthly online Nature Conservancy Newsletter arrived in my mailbox this morning, with this story about the wildlife decline on the Pribilof Islands off the coast of Alaska.  The story is long, but utterly compelling.  The efforts the tribal people who live there are making to try to save their astonishing variety of wildlife are wonderful.  That they have to make such efforts is heartbreaking.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be sure to check out the fully story about the decline of nature over there. I will most likely print it out if it is that long though! i hope that you have a good day, Bye

Anonymous said...

Thanks to your entries, I have become more aware of environmental concerns and issues.  It's shocking the levels at which we continue to trash this planet.  Have you read the article about deca-BDE toxins being found in arctic animals?  Here's the link:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=624&u=/ap/20040603/ap_on_sc/norway_arctic_pollution&printer=1

Anonymous said...

I decided to leave my comment here instead of above....I talk so much about religion that it would just be risky to talk about politics too.  (Too many iron in the fire I'd dare say.)

I would love to see your poetry as I am sure that it would be wonderful.  Here's a Haiku for you....


seals entangled in
a frenzy of warmth ~ lay
sun snuggled at last