Monday, June 28, 2004

WHAT, MERCURY, AGAIN???

Yes, again - because this morning BushGreenwatch tells me that:      "Tomorrow marks the last day for the public to comment on the highest-profile battle in years between the Bush administration and advocates of public health. The administration is under court order to finalize the first-ever federal regulations to reduce poisonous emissions of mercury from power plants--the largest uncontrolled source of mercury pollution in the U.S."

This was one of the topics on Bill Moyers NOW this past Friday,  they made a strong case against mercury.  I have posted about the dangers mercury pollution poses to pregnant women, developing fetuses, babies, young children, before.  Yep, several times.  But we're down to the wire now on doing something about this.  Halting Dubya's "base's" ("the haves and have mores") ability to make the regulations concerning all our lives.  read today's BushGreenwatch bulletin, then go to MercuryHurts.org to send a letter to the E.P.A. about this legislation.  How could taking action be easier? 

*The more I contemplate this GWB quote from F9/11: "This is an impressive crowd, the haves and the have mores. Some people call you the elite. I call you my base." the more pissed-off I get.  It may be showing up in future posts, as appropriate places to insert it appear. How can the millions of people in this country striving to make mortgage payments, put food on their families' tables, hold a job in the world of downsizing and outsourcing hear a quote like this - and not want to start a revolution?  In any "coalition of the wild-eyed" I guess you need to count me in!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard that quote, but I'm not sure the context or what the hell he was even talking about.  I guess I should see the movie, but I doubt they'll bring it to the local theatre.  LOL  This is NE Texas, ya know.  Have to wait until it comes out on video. ;-)

Anonymous said...

the context of the quote is Bush addressing a very wealthy group of his backers at a white-tie dinner.  chances are it was a fund-raiser for his campaign.  the movie is playing at ten theatres in Dallas, according to my friends there.  take a little trip and go see it.  well worth heading west on I-20.

Anonymous said...

I had to look this up.  Actually, the quote is not as ominous as it sounds.  It is from an October, 2000 address to the Alfred E. Smith memorial fundraiser for Catholic charities.  Gore addressed the same crowd.  CBS News reports it as a self-deprecating joke.  Bush also made the statement here that, ""You know what the world needs? It needs more world leaders named Al Smith," making fun at his ability to mangle names.   It was an $800-a-plate fundraiser of NY elites, but not necessarily Bush's "base."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2000/10/18/politics/main242210.shtml

Anonymous said...

The quote, whether self-depreciating or not, is Arrogant.  Bush is arrogant and it may have been disguised as a joke, but it is what he truly believes and feels, proved through his actions.  He takes full advantage of his upper white class male privilege.  I do not see him advocating ponying up his privileged boozing daughters to fight an unjust war, but he sure can sacrifice the masses that need the military the most to get a start in life.