Monday, October 4, 2004

JUST REPORTING IN

Friday I picked G up at the Wilmington train station, ecstatic to have her home from Massachusetts.  We took a nice walk along the river, to unkink our legs from our various travels, hers on the train, mine the long drive from Sussex County north to the Big City.  In truth it's a small city (large only by comparison with this podunk area), and one we've never yet gotten acquainted with.  Urban renewal is flourishing, at least there in the area of the "transit center" and the Riverfront. 

We spent the weekend in blissful togetherness, doing errands, walking the beach at Cape Henlopen, sleeping a lot, doing voter registration on Saturday in Rehoboth Beach.  It's the last big push to get folks registered, our deadline is Oct. 13 here in DE.  I'm working several places on this all during this week, as well as trying to stay current with my own classes and my afterschool group.  Soon I'll have some pictures to post of this bunch, the afterschool homework kids.  There's more of them every day, and I think we're finally bonding.  They're beginning to see I'm smart and funny and give them all little presents at the end of every week.  It's amazing what's surfacing from my memory, I thought I'd be lost helping the older kids with math - but it's all still in there somehow.  Stuff I didn't even know I knew. 

I have had little time to be online, and that will be the status quo for the next couple of weeks.  Really, I feel like I'm holding my breath until November 2, which can't be good, can it?  Here's a true fact:  I hate seeing/hearing GWB so much that I couldn't even watch that first debate.  I have read much of the transcript, and of course loads of commentary.  It wasn't that I doubted for a second that Kerry would whup his sorry little ass, I just can't stand to see the squint, the smirk, the pout, the eyerolls.  Can't stand to listen to that fake folksy Texas drawl. So, his ass was whupped up one side and down the other, fer shure, and it only seems to make a difference to those Americans possessed of functioning brains themselves.  How can they still be in a dead heat?  Okay, two more to go, plus the VP debate tomorrow night.  Unless, of course, Dubya decides he has such important matters of state to which he must attend that he can't possibly engage in any more meaningful discussion in front of millions of viewers. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I figured you'd be pretty busy by now.  I didn't watch the debate either...I was too busy to sit down.  But I agree with you...W is just so unpleasant when he's snarky (is that a word?)

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back gurl, missed you. Don't pay too much attention to the polls, I think that a lot of the polls are way off the mark since they tend to call people who have listed phone numbers and ignore the generation of kids who can only be reached by mobile phone. These kids are overwhelmingly in favor of Kerry, so you can probably figure that it is some 5 percent. Hopefully it will be enough to eliminate the vote fraud in florida.

Anonymous said...

I love the word snarky. Can I use it some time?

Anonymous said...

The mood here in Missouri seems to have shifted dramatically since the debate.  I DO think it had a major effect on voters' attitudes.  True, my Republican acquaintances (alas, I can no longer call them friends) are still voting Bush, but they've muted down their support noticably since the debate, almost as if they're ashamed of supporting him.  The Democrats, on the other hand, are energized.  One note on the polls: Gallop has been accused of consistently undersampling for the Democratic voters.  If true, this is shoddy research that undermines the "scientific principles" of polling and renders the results of little value except as propaganda.  In Missouri -- a so-called write-off state for Kerry -- the candidates are neck-and-neck.  It will all come down to voter turnout.  So keep up the good work in Delaware -- and pray for us who are doing battle in the Bible Belt.  It's mean and nasty out here.  Ah, Democracy, ain't it fun?!

Anonymous said...

I want to hit the tv with a shoe everytime I see Bush on, but the debate was sweet nectar, indeed.  The Emperor is truly naked.  His performance was as bad, if not worse, than what you've heard.  Bush was exposed for the truly small man that he is.