Monday, December 13, 2004

UNCHAINED MELODY

Free, free, free at last!  Well, sort of.  Finished with college work as of today.  I spent the entire day yesterday (with a dog-walking break) at the kitchen table grading papers, essays, finals, and make-up tests - then computing final grades.  Next semester I'm going to put it all on Blackboard and let the computer do the math for me, save me a lot of bother.  Today I got the final grades into the computer, handed back journals and essays, and went to the First Ever Language Department Holiday Lunch.  We have just become our own department; previously we have been under the Developmental Studies Dept.  This is a big step, and one that makes us all very happy.  We are finally getting a Language Lab for next semester - it's under construction even as we speak. 

My afterschool kids are still with me, as their vacation doesn't start until the end of next week.  We had a splendid day last Friday, doing origami tree ornaments.  I brought ice-cream sandwiches, and it all felt deliciously festive.  The agency has a tree up in the lobby, and we put some of our creations on it.  I brought in a couple of books with origami patterns, a lot of interesting paper, metallic thread to hang them up with.  I simply laid the materials out on the table, and they couldn't get into it fast enough.  Some had had previous experience with origami, others were new to it.  All were unstoppable, when it was time for the bus, no one wanted to go home.  I was a trifle worried that, because they are mainly preadolescent boys, they'd find it girlish or sissy.  No ma'am, no such thing.  My most macho dude was the absolute master of folding - he created wonderful birds in exquisite colors, then asked if he could borrow my book and take some paper home to keep working.  Today he told me he had mastered several more birds and promised to bring me some.  Kirigami may be next.  Gotta say it again - I love these kids.

Thursday I'll be off to Texas for a few days, the acting niece is in another play.  This time it's The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, at the Dallas Children's Theatre.  It's also her 14th birthday on Friday.  The holiday season movies often open on her birthday, and it's her tradition to celebrate by going to Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, whatever, with a few friends.  This year it will be Lemony Snicket, and I'll be there to join them.  This will make her mother (my sister) happy, having another adult amidst the giggling gaggle of girls. I've gotten her the poster for the movie, with the opening date, as one of her birthday presents.  Along with a truly gorgeous poster of Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow.  She has almost as big a crush on him as I have. 

For now, I'm going to visit journal friends whom I have so long neglected.  And do a whole lot of laundry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my daughter and I were in The Best Christmas Pageant Ever together!  We were the mom and Gladys -- what fun!

Anonymous said...

I simply love The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.  It's one of my favorite Christmas books.  I hope your holidays are wonderful.

Anonymous said...

It is a joy to read your blog and share in your love and excitement over the children you work with.  It is always a major relief to get the grading done, posted and turned in!

What a lucky niece you have.  Hope you have a great trip and a wonderful Winter Holiday.  Paulette