Monday, February 7, 2005

ABSOLUTELY IN MY BACK YARD

And, as the previous post reminds me - as spring does gradually creep into our neighborhoods, our own backyards, we will start to think about what we'll do with those spaces this spring and summer.  From the Audubon website, here is a nice little guide to creating an ecologically friendly environment in the territory over which you have some control, some choice.  The greatest amount of pesticide runoff comes from suburban lawns and gardens, gasoline powered mowers emit incredible amounts of toxins into the air (I have the actual statistics on these somewhere, I will see if I can find them and incorporate them into this post later.).  By the same token, these areas are places where we can encourage native plants and animals, foster welcoming environments for birds and insects whose normal territories grow daily smaller, use what would become landfill to create glorious compost, organically grow some of our own food, create safe play spaces for our children.  We can all be environmentalists in our own backyards; let Audubon show you some rudiments of this philosophy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to garden. Thanks for the link. I bookmarked it so I can read the whole thing. I am with you. I feel like I am doing my share of preserving a little piece of this earth for the future generations to enjoy by gardening and composting.

Anonymous said...

Most people are just clueless as to what they're really dumping into their immediate environment.  They think as long as the grass is perfectly green and weed free...all is right with the world.

Thanks for a great link.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl, spring is almost here, thank goodness.  Thanks for the link.  Every little environmentally responsible thing we can do adds up and helps.

Anonymous said...

I don't use pesticides or weed killers, and so my back yard looks like a jungle. I don't have time to go out and pull all these offensive weeds, and so my garden has this wild and untamed look. It's not as pretty as the neighbor's, but I still love it.

Anonymous said...

I don't use pesticides or weed killers, and so my back yard looks like a jungle. I don't have time to go out and pull all these offensive weeds, and so my garden has this wild and untamed look. It's not as pretty as the neighbor's, but I still love it.