Thursday, February 24, 2005

SNOW ON THE EAGLE!

Yes, Robin of Midlife Matters just sent me an email saying "Omigosh!  It snowed on the eagle!"  Which lets me know that at least one other journaler is keeping an eye on that nest.  Since the link to the entry about the EagleCam is fixin' to (as we say in Texas) leave the sidebar of most recent ten posts, I'm putting it in here once again.  I check in on them several times a day, I must confess.  The eaglets are due to hatch very soon - I just hope it will be after this snowstorm is out of here.  The current shots of the eagle hunkering over the eggs in a big pile of snow are really rather pathetic.  The note says, though, that the eggs will be okay as long as the eagles stay on them.  Those dear brave determined birds.  I wonder why they haven't learned to put up a thatched roof over the nest? 

Anyway, it's snowing big time on the Delmarva.  I didn't get a snow day, as my classes are in the morning, but I did let my second class out half an hour early, so they could get safely home.  The worst of the storm is supposed to happen this afternoon and evening.  The college did just close, letting G come home for the afternoon. The school districts have been closed all day, no BratClub for me today. So here we both are, snug as bugs in rugs.  Hope everyone else is the same. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh...I'd been meaning to check back, but didn't put the link in a convenient place.  I'm glad you posted again.  I want to watch those babies hatch!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, at least she's shaken the snow off her back.  But she doesn't look any happier.

Anonymous said...

All this talk of snow is so bizarre to me.  Our weather has been insanely warm and sunny.  It's about 65 degrees right now and nary a cloud in the sky.  Which is actually really scary.  We WILL be in a serious drought this summer.  California is getting all our rain (and I'm sure they wish we would take it back...)  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Talk to me about bad weather?!!!  Well, darn it, if we didn't have a cloud today in Acapulco.  That's right; a cloud in February!  By golly, it even blocked the sun for a whole 20 seconds.  I ask you, is weather fickle or what?  (I'm betting on the eagles -- a little snow means nothing to them.)

Anonymous said...

well, Tim, "betting on the eagles" sounds a little too sportif to me, you know what happened in the superbowl.  those who bet on the Eagles didn't emerge too happy.  but, yeah, THESE eagles will probably weather the storm.  these eggs were laid very early, though - there is some reason to worry about the eaglets in a very cold, wet, or snowy spring.

Anonymous said...

Oh my!  I hope they do ok!  I'll be checkin
in frequently on the little babies!
Thanks for the link!
Connie

Anonymous said...

That is soooo cool.  I had no idea there was an eagle cam.  That's really neat.  Thanks for the link.

dave

Anonymous said...

I just checked the cam, and I guess all the eggs are hatched.  I only see one big eagle that seems to be resting on the righthand side of the screen.

Hope all the chicks are alive and well.