Wednesday, February 9, 2005

EAGLE CAM

This is Blackwater Wildlife Refuge, down near Cambridge, MD, looking about like Prime Hook Wildlife Refuge did when we went walking and birding there on Sunday.  After these three warm days both places have probably melted somewhat, and there may be more open water. 

The Delmarva Peninsula is a fantastic place for anyone who enjoys birding, or wildlife and outdoor water activities.  It is one of the principal stops on the Atlantic flyway, so the migrations all flock past us, stopping to eat and rest on our beaches and in our wetlands.  During the summer the Refuge has a webcam on an osprey nest (Osprey Cam), the log of the eggs and hatchlings, then fledglings, is on the site.  The ospreys are still in South America, but what's up and running is the Eagle Cam.  It's a camera on a bald eagle nest high in a loblolly pine, sending live pictures to the site.  There is also a great gallery of stills from the camera, which can actually be more interesting than the live cam - as sometimes not much is happening in the nest.  When I visited a while ago I could see only one adult eagle  She must be sitting on the eggs, because I can't see any of them. The other one must be out hunting and gathering. 

The folks at the Refuge are a little worried about these eggs, because it's all happening earlier than usual.  If we have a cold, wet spring, the chicks may not make it.  So, I guess watching the Eagle Cam could be watching a tragedy unfold.  On the other hand, what an incredible chance to witness something we'd never get to see otherwise.  Privy to a wonder!  The eagles TURN THE EGGS, imagine that! They bunch up their talons so they won't punch through the shells, and roll the eggs, to keep them evenly warm and keep the membranes from sticking to the shells on one side.

Check it out, bookmark it.  Let's see what happens here, wait and watch with me.  How incredible is this?   

         
Turning the eggs.

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many years ago I used to volunteer at our Museum of Natural History, and my time included a period when they were involved in an eagle hatching project.  I even have a picture of myself in the animal guy's office  holding a tiny eaglet.  If I can ever figure out how to use the scanner I'll have to post an entry.  Anyway, for now I'm saving this eaglecam in my favorite places.

Anonymous said...

PS Could you try posting the link to ospreycam again?  I actually love osprey even more than eagles.

Anonymous said...

far out!!! This is one of my favorite places on earth and we come over frequently. Virginia is a birder, and I am now keeping a birdlist and LOVE birdwatching.... but resist the title "birder". Virginia laughs at me. We must get together and soon it will be time for the horseshoe crabs and the red knots. What a ownderful entry and I will keep an eye on the eagles!!!! judi

Anonymous said...

This is Great! Thanks for sharing this. I'll be watching!
Sue

Anonymous said...

Wonderful.  I'm going to enjoy watching too!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome picture and thanks for sharing the eagle cam. It is so wonderful to see eagles in their natural habitat. I am glad more people are getting more information about the species that are endangered and some people are doing something to stop their extinction.      

Anonymous said...

Great photo!  It looks so peaceful there and I imagine it's a great place to stroll and enjoy nature.

I didn't know eagles do that, turn their eggs.  Cool webcam.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!
V

Anonymous said...

Maisie: Thanks for this link! Additionally, you might want to check this website www.winterhbrcoop.com/ and clickon photo gallery.  It's mostly lobsterfishermen and their boats, but towards the end you'll find pictures of a group of bald eagles that nest across from the lobster co-op.  They swoop down on the float to retrieve fish that are left for them....fantastic pix.  There are four eagles....two adults, two young eagles (still in brown/white phase). Truly magnificent! M.Lou