Wednesday, April 20, 2005

WHERE THE HELL HAVE I BEEN?

On April 6th I wrote that it would be a "slow to nonexistant journal week,"  as life has become suddenly so full of "real" stuff that there just isn't the time to spend seated at the computer browsing news, environmental sites and magazines, and then writing.  The busy week has become two weeks now, and looks likely to last for at least two and a half more.  Or:  until the semester is over. 

The weather turned lovely, and the yard and gardens demand what time work doesn't.  I neglected so much last spring and summer while I was working on the campaigns, that there is twice the normal spring whipping-into-shape to be done. We plan to put the house on the market early next spring - getting this ridiculous yard looking seductively attractive will help a great deal with the sale..

Reading a book called The Memory of Running  (discussed in The BiblioPhiles) reminded me that there were two bikes decomposing in the garage.  I dug them out, took them to Bike Werkz and had them revived - new tires, brakes, a good cleaning, chains oiled.  I'm talking about two probably 25 year old Raleigh three-speeds here, folks, not your spiffy new 18 speed lightweight racing bike.  The adorable kid who worked on them was entranced by what he regarded as antiques.  Anyway, I'm riding mine everywhere possible now, and it just feels great.  Today I may even work up the courage to ride to the college, crossing the highway. 

The Language Dept at the college had a wonderful International Day - I have pictures, but haven't had time to download them yet.  At La Casita, the afternoon homework program, we had a Book Fair that lasted an entire week and brought us in some nice extra cash for supplies and books.  I worked evenings and Saturday on that, and had too much fun.  It brought back my old Doubleday Bookstore days, reminding me how much I love to put books and people together in friendly loving relationships.

Another big event around here has been a week of terror in both my constituencies, caused by the presence of La Migra (Immigration officers) here rounding up undocumented immigrants for deportation.  Kicking in doors, stopping cars on the highway, going through Wal-Mart accosting people, climbing up to second story windows to look in when no one answers a ground floor door, stuff like that.  Scary stuff.  And it's the people who've been living here for years, holding jobs, paying taxes, sending their kids to school, whose names are on their list.  Not the folks who just came over the border last week. 

OKay, gotta go, but one last word  - about the new Pope, the only hope I see is that he's 78 years old.  This one won't last for decades, like the last one did.  God's rottweiler, indeed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!  I was, indeed, wondering where the hell... .

Anonymous said...

Wishing you days of happy bike riding through Delaware's beautiful spring.  The Roman Church has returned to its Fascist roots with the selection of its last two Popes.  So sad to see this Church in full-bore retreat from the modern world.  I think it's in its death-throes, reaching out to desiccated dogmas and appealing to prejudice in an attempt to regain its lost stature.  Sad indeed.  Of more concern in this entry, however, is the news of La Migra's crackdown.  These migrant workers toil in conditions that often appall and, by doing so, provide Americans with cheap processed food and manufactured goods, to say nothing of clean hotels, nursing homes and hospitals.  Now these workers live in fear from the very society they support.  The damage such dragnets cause to Mexican-American relations is huge and far outweighs any politcal benefits the government might reap from its "tough on immigration" posture.  Sad ... sad.

Anonymous said...

Darth Vadar updated his spring wardrobe with a Pope Robe...It is really all I could think as I watched him waving to the masses from the papal balcony... Dalene of AHH at http://journals.aol.com/ahhliving/AHH

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have found some time for fun in all the Spring madness.  I love gardens that are over-run and chaotic myself.  To me the only difference between a flower and a weed is what we call it!  I totally agree that perhaps the Pope won't live long enough to do too much damage.  This whole trend to lean further and further "right" leaves me cold.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

is it just me or does this pope look scary???? John Paul looked sort of cherubic, you know????? judi