Tuesday, May 31, 2005

GRAND OPENING: SUMMER 2005

We have had a beautiful and memorable Memorial Day weekend.  My sister, brother in law and niece came out from D.C. and spent all three days with us.  They just left a few hours ago.  I am working on an entry, with pictures, about the silent vigil we all attended in Lewes on Sunday.  Lots of pictures, so it will take a while.  It may take a couple of entries to talk about all the fun we had this weekend.  Just want to say here that I hope everyone else also had a rest, a moment of solemnity, and a good beginning to this summer. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great!
V

Anonymous said...

I feel so guilty.

I wanted to do something -- to act in some way that honored the memory of those who gave their lives in the military service of our nation.

But the idea sticks in my mind.  It won't slide into place.  I find that the incongruity and mindless atrocity of a nation pretending to honor its war dead, even as it throws away the lives of thousands in Iraq for nothing, is more than my mind can hold in place long enough to reflect and remember.

I thought about it, and I thought what can I do that I have not done.  I am no Buddhist monk, so I am not about to immolate myself.  I did not serve in the Texas Air National Guard, so I do not have a jumpsuit with a flag on the sleeve to wear as a gesture.  

All I can do is be mindful of the terrible waste, and the unnecessary violence, and the awful destruction and pain and suffering.  And remember that it is all done in my name.

After that painful reflection, I played tennis, went out to dinner, and went to a concert.  And whether I thought about the war, or set it aside, I still felt guilty.

Neil