Thursday, April 22, 2004

EARTH DAY, 2004

For the Future

Planting trees early in spring,
we make a place for birds to sing
in time to come.  How do we know?
They are singing here now.
There is no other guarantee
that singing will ever be.
                                          Wendell Berry

         ********************************************

I'm going to give some links here having to do with Earth Day, because, really, it's a major holiday for me.  It's even a gorgeous day here, and after my visit to my doctor this afternoon i'm going to put on gardening clothes and get Really Earthy.  Dirty, in fact.

I've got plenty of Bad News links, but here's an uplifting one for a change.  this essay, Earth Day's Daughter, is by Tia Nelson, daughter of Gaylord Nelson, the founder of Earth Day in 1970.  Senator Nelson is 87 now, and still working for The Wilderness Society.  Tia works for The Nature Conservancy, so i guess it runs in the blood.

Now for the Bad News.  From the bushgreenwatch site, a hardhitting article called On Earth Day, Experts Blast Bush.  it's today's story, so you may have to go to Back Issues if you're reading this after today.  Bob Whitson at howlings gives us this press release from Environment Maine on our Environmental President's Photo Op trip today to Maine to talk about how much he loves the environment.  The article will tell you how the local residents and environmentalists feel about this campaign stop.

I'm not sure anyone read my long entry with the newsletter from the League of Conservation Voters, but even if you don't read the whole thing check out the link to this, the Environmental Victory Project.  It's some more good news for anyone who wants to get involved.

And, wait, I have another Earth Day entry over here.  Shorter, but quite nice, I think.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've also been giving some extra thought (for me) to Earth Day this year, and it's not just because the bushies are trying to destroy the environment.  My cousin Russ, sent me the following link to his website.  He tends to make his pages a little "busy" but I liked the theme.  
http://bullnfrog.com/Earth%20Day%20Event.htm

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing.
http://journals.aol.com/bernmilo/WAYNEATOPICTURES

Anonymous said...

Good links! The DNC also has a Flash movie tribute to Bush's environmental policies...
http://www.democrats.org/environment/earth_day/index.html

Anonymous said...

Great links.  It's ironic that it coincides with Bush's stop in Florida lauding it as a virtual environmental paradise.  Gag.