Thursday, April 29, 2004

IS APRIL, AFTER ALL, THE CRUELLEST MONTH?

Lilacs, irises, dogwoods, redbuds, wisteria, azaleas, even tulips still hanging on in many gardens -  it's all happening at once!  Spring with a vengeance.  i went the next town north of us to get a hair cut  (does anything make a girl feel better than a good haircut?  especially when she's also lost 20 pounds?)  after my morning class, and since the highway was under construction and hyper-congested, i took country backroads home.  i got delightfully lost, drove through farmland beginning to green up, past farmhouses with yards bursting with lilacs (we have one measly bush) and iris, fields of grazing cows, even a flock of sheep.   as Delaware is a very small and narrow state, i never worry when i'm lost here.  i know eventually i'll hit a major road that i am familiar with.  it was high noon with the sun directly overhead, so i couldn't use that to steer by.  i worked the 2000 census here in DE, so i'm fairly familiar with the backroads and almost never get lost.  this morning i just wanted to go wherever the road took me, and had a wonderful time.

furthermore, you should go visit this journal, From Every Angle, which belongs to Sunflowerkat in another guise, and is on the editor's list of top five picks this morning.  i know, i know, we're not sure we like those editors and their attitude any more - but this is a photo journal that will knock your socks off.  Kat captures nature at its loveliest.  as well as many other less likely subjects.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weight loss, a new hair cut and a drive through country roads. Wow, my kind of day. Hope you feel great!

Anonymous said...

Today was so beautiful...that sounds like the perfect fantasy...lost on some contry road.  I know me...I'd just want to turn up the music and keep on going!!!  It sounds like you had a terrific day.  I'm SO glad.
Thanks for your nice comment about my journal.  I'm very flattered.
:)
Kat

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post!  I love to explore.  I used to just get in my car, take my camera, and drive and drive when I lived in Nebraska, but there it was hard to get lost, the roads are mostly straight and run at 90º from each other, and you can always see the horizon!  I'm so glad you've got the energy to get out and enjoy the season!