Wednesday, February 18, 2004

GREEN SUVS? Part 1

Justcherie, one of my favorite journalers, has an entry linking to a Grist Magazine (one of my favorite online sites) article on "green SUVs."  the article mentions two hybrid vehicles that will be emerging soon, one from Ford, one from Toyota.  i have been keeping up with this subject myself for some time now.  we wanted to get a hybrid vehicle when we bought our last car, specifically we wanted the Toyota Prius.  the dealer closest to us didn't have any to sell (only a demo he wouldn't even let us drive) and said he couldn't get us one for at least a year.  so. as Toyota loyalists we bought a Matrix.  which we love, and which gets great mpg, especially on the open hwy.

at the present time we both live close to where we work, and don't have to do that much driving regularly.  when i'm selling plants at the farmers' market in the summer i need a truck to haul stuff around in, and for that we have our older vehicle, a Mazda pickup with close to 200,000 miles on it.  we take one long road trip about every two years, and shorter ones every couple of months.
     (Part 2 continues below.  and there's only two parts!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shame you couldn`t get one.....
vince

Anonymous said...

Awww, thanks, Mari! We want to check out the Honda Civic hybrids next time, although they may be bigger than I like. Why are the cars getting bigger every year? My current 1992 Civic is the biggest car I've ever owned. Before that I had a 1983 Civic hatchback, a 1978 Rabbit, and a 1972 Bug. The newest Civics look HUGE to me, but I haven't looked at the hybrids yet.

Anonymous said...

I'm in the market for a car soon and I definitely will check out the Toyota hybrid. Thanks for the heads up on this. It's about time we have more responsible and environmentally aware choices in transportation.