Thursday, February 19, 2004

MOVEON.ORG WALK-IN

A couple of days ago i got an email from moveon.org asking for volunteers to go to their senators' home offices  (they're out of DC on recess right now) tomorrow, Friday Feb. 20.  the idea is to have a massive walk-in to senate offices all over the country by volunteers carrying chunks of the petition signed online by over 500,000 moveon members asking that the Senate censure GWB for "misleading the country about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction."  

well, i have no classes or committments right now on Fridays, so i emailed them back and said "sure, you bet!" today i am printing out, even as we speak, 19 pages of DE signatures and comments, which tomorrow i will take to Wilmington to Joe Biden's office.  each volunteer is supposed to spend five minutes speaking to anybody we can get to listen, there is a list of talking points, as well as delivering the packet of signatures and comments.  ask me how good it feels to actually be doing something concrete about my feelings, instead of talking to the four walls, typing into cyberspace, etc. 

you KNOW it's good!  i'm so excited!!!!

i'm reading comments here from these pages, zounds, they're fine!  i just signed the basic petition myself, without adding any of my own words.  now i regret that.  i'm gonna put some of them in an entry to share with other like-minded souls.  we're not alone!  even here in tiny little conservative DuPont-controlled Delaware there are plenty of kindred pissed-off spirits. 

(Comments follow in next entry.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, great idea & I will check out the site mentioned. I don't normally go in for politically oriented journals, but yours is so well written and so informative (without just ranting) that I'll definitely visit again. ~Holly

Anonymous said...

well, thank you m'am, as they say in your city, my former city, Big D.
i'm honored by your comment and glad to have you visiting. y'all come back now, y'hear?

Anonymous said...

This is an impressive grassroots protest action that I didn't know about until I read it here. Please let us know how it turns out for you tomorrow. I would definitely go to the moveon.org site and even though I can't go to my senator's home office, I will definitely sign the petition. Thanks for the heads up.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I read this fairly early. Now I've got time to get prepared and go. This is a wonderful idea.