Tuesday, January 25, 2005

HERE'S TO THE BAG LADIES, AND GENTS TOO

As a young student in France I acquired what seemed to me a very cool European thing to do:  taking multicolored string bags with me to do my grocery shopping.  The habit came home with me two years later, and became an affectation I cherished for its coolth and sophistication in dull and boring American grocery stores. Soon afterwards, however, I became very involved with the burgeoning environmental movement and realized my string bags were not only cool but environmentally friendly.  They saved at least one shopper's worth of plastic or paper bags from entering the world of over use and over littering.  Furthermore, I lived in Texas then and Whole Foods gave you a nickel refund for each bag of your own that you used. When I moved to Massachusetts and started shopping at Bread and Circus the same nickel perk for bags held true.  Now, of course, Whole Foods has taken over Bread and Circus in New England, as well as Fresh Fields here in the Mid-Atlantic.  Yes, it's the conglomerate Whole Foods - but they still do profit sharing with their employees, have great benefits, and still give a nickel back on bags you bring in to reuse. 

The original string bags from France have long since worn out, but my collection of canvas and mesh bags has grown massively.  As a teacher I attend conferences and workshops of one sort or another almost every year, and canvas bags are a favorite giveaway at those events.  I carry a set in each vehicle, one in my backpack, have miscellaneous of them here and there.  I get strange looks from some cashiers, but most of them are used to me now - and at least one major grocery chain in our area, Giant Foods, now gives a three cent rebate for using recycled or cloth bags.

For several years now several other countries, most notably Ireland, have been charging a tax on the use of plastic "carrier bags," a pretty hefty tax it is, too.  A good deal higher than the refund I get for using my canvas bags.  Europe, once my model for cool environmentally-friendly shopping behaviour, is now awash in plastic bags, endangering wildlife, clogging drains, just being as ugly as mortal sin.  I think other countries in the EU are also contemplating the bag tax.

So imagine my joy to  read on AOL news this morning that a major American city is finally doing the same sane and sensible thing.  It's that hip city by the bay, San Francisco, that is considering a municipal bag tax of up to 17 cents a bag.  It's in the initial stages of working its way through the process, and of course it may not even make it.  Still, it's a first step in the right direction.  Anyone who lives anywhere in the vicinity of a Wal-Mart knows the plastic wasteland that develops almost overnight in about a three mile radius of the store. 

             ****************************************************

On a more personal note, I'm feeling better, though still not well enough to stand up in front of a class and emote.  The college had a two-hour opening delay, so that canceled my first class anyway.  My second class really can't afford to miss a session, but them's the breaks, I am so sorry.  And the school districts are still all closed, so no afterschool program today either. The bad news is that my darling G has been hit by this same evil bug.  She has taken such sweet care of me during the worst of my bout.  I knew she'd catch it - and last night I saw the first signs.  Right now she is a miserable lump under the covers with at least one warm furry creature keeping her company.  I like a lot of "poor baby" and cups of tea when I'm sick.  Her MO is just to curl up in a huddle and avoid all human contact.  It's somewhat frustrating, because I want to give her "poor baby" and cups of tea.  In fact, I think I'm going to go take her temperature and see if she wants a cup of tea.  No, just kidding, but I am going to go check on her.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't thought about using canvas bags for a long time.  Isn't it funny how these things go out of our heads when we aren't reminded?  When I worked for the Dillons grocery chain in Kansas, they sold canvas bags with the store logo for $2.99 and gave customers back 5 cents for each one used (or for any bag they brought in to pack their groceries in).  I thought it was a wonderful program, but I haven't seen it used in any of the places I've lived since I moved away from there in 1995.  Dillons is the largest grocery chain in KS.  It would be nice to see practices that that spread to other major chains!

Anonymous said...

I went to Bread & Circus (now Whole Foods Market) a couple of summers ago for the first time--it was amazing--it was a completely different experience than I had grown accustomed to.

Unfortunately, it is quite far away from where I live, but I am going to look for a closer one :)

Thanks for coming by, and I'll be back again :)
Katie  

Anonymous said...

I'm all for the hide-under-the-covers-and-avoid-all-human-contact method of dealing with the flu.  If someone is nice to me, that means I have to be nice back, and when I'm sick, I just can't deal with that!  :-P  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's awesome.  I'm going to have to start doing that.  I always feel so guilty with all those plastic bags.  What a waste!  Thanks for the entry.

dave
http://journals.aol.com/ibspiccoli4life/RandomThoughtsfromaProgressiveMi

Anonymous said...

My sympathies to Gail and prayers for a quick recover.

Anonymous said...

you all feel better please. judi

Anonymous said...

Feel better soon!   Where in France?

Anonymous said...

Last year some publishers gave me a couple of dozen canvas book bags, and when I gave them out to teachers they acted like they'd been given company cars and golf club memberships. You know, like the private sector.

I used to be a patient like G, but these days I'm getting more like you.

Anonymous said...

I copied your post and sent it to the CEO of my fledgling grocery chain. Peace and Love. Tank Gurl

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to read that you're still feeling ill, and now G. too, oh dear.  It seems a meaner strain of the flu is going around.  I'm still not fully recovered from mine and it hit me full strength almost three weeks ago.  Continue the self-pampering and hopefully that will defeat the buggers eventually!

I read the San Fran shopping bag tax.  Makes sense to me.  They do that with soda cans, so why not shopping bags?  I use canvas bags from Trader Joe's, myself.

Anonymous said...

Trees or the environment, or both, that is the question.   I never remember to take my own bags with me, they stay hanging on a  hook near the door, waiting patiently for "next time".  Perhaps one of these days my conscience will compel me to remember.  Does G get a little more demanding when she is nearly well?  I'm with you, I want to camp out on the sofa and get lots of TLC when I'm not feeling well.  My mate would rather be left alone.  Hope G is all better soon.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

Trees or the environment, or both, that is the question.   I never remember to take my own bags with me, they stay hanging on a  hook near the door, waiting patiently for "next time".  Perhaps one of these days my conscience will compel me to remember.  Does G get a little more demanding when she is nearly well?  I'm with you, I want to camp out on the sofa and get lots of TLC when I'm not feeling well.  My mate would rather be left alone.  Hope G is all better soon.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

Trees or the environment, or both, that is the question.   I never remember to take my own bags with me, they stay hanging on a  hook near the door, waiting patiently for "next time".  Perhaps one of these days my conscience will compel me to remember.  Does G get a little more demanding when she is nearly well?  I'm with you, I want to camp out on the sofa and get lots of TLC when I'm not feeling well.  My mate would rather be left alone.  Hope G is all better soon.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the multiple entry, my finger stuttered!  Paulette

Anonymous said...

I think using canvas bags is a great idea. I actually save my plastic and paper bags to use for garbage. But, when I become overwhelmed with my supply, I can return them to the stores for recycling. Personally, I'm tired of all the "sin" taxes. I'd rather see incentives like you mentioned then another excuse for a tax.
:-) ---Robbie

Anonymous said...

Sorry Gailsie's now sick too.  I am, as well.  I'm with her--no human contact...makes me better.

Anonymous said...

thank you for the very well worded reminder of using canvas bags for shopping.  i always request paper, then use them to recycle the newspapers in.  i do not like when stores don't offer paper!  the plastic ones i do get, i use for cleaning litter box, and trash, etc. but it makes much more sense to remember to carry a couple of canvas bags in the car.  :)  hope you both are all better very soon!  it's beginning to warm up a 'little' out there, i think!    ~phinney