Sunday, January 9, 2005

MORITURI TE SALUTANT

Which means "Those who are about to die salute you."  The gladiators' salute to Caesar, originally.  Fortunately, I won't have to face any pronged weapons or fierce animals in the arena tomorrow, just my first classes of the new semester.  And I have some really much too big classes.  There is talk of splitting some of them up, somehow. 

So it's the end of staying up late reading and hot tubbing, sleeping late, watching movies, birding, having the time to cook wonderful meals, generally living in the style to which I long to become accustomed.  But today was a lovely farewell to vacation - late sleeping, watching the yard full of feeder birds (including a hairy woodpecker, which I have not seen before in the yard), going for a long walk, cooking a fabulous dinner, reading, watching some silly TV  (okay -  Desperate Housewives, I admit it.  We're hooked.  We're also hooked on Arrested Development, but it wasn't on tonight), putting the old bones in the hot tub as the clouds that hung about all day began to break up and the stars appeared in the oak branches above us.  And now I'll be going to bed entirely too late.  Soon I'll get into the swing of a weekly routine, these are just a last few minutes of denial. 

Our winter jasmine is in full bloom and the daffodils by the kitchen steps have come a full five or six inches out of the ground.  It's been so mild lately, I wonder what the new few weeks will bring.  Even the japanese quince is budding.  Will we all have a nasty surprise before too long?  I'm going to take my cue from Vixen, however, and try not to worry about it.  Peace, from everyone under this roof.
 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your classes.  I'm sure you will enjoy them.  Every once in awhile I find myself yearning to be standing in front of a classroom full of psychology or sociology students again.  Then I wake up!  Peace.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like your vacation was restful and enjoyable.  I hope it's left you revitalized and ready to go!!

Anonymous said...

If only vacations could last forever, but then I guess we'd look at working as a nice change of pace.  John's classes start today, too, and he's pretty excited.  He has a good schedule this semester, all classes that he wants to teach, not like in the fall when they had him teaching a bunch of intro computer classes.  
I LOVE Arrested Development, but I haven't seen Desparate Housewives at all, I feel so out of it!  We watched the season debut of 24 last night.  I love that show, although I feel vaguely guilty because I feel like I should abhor the politics of it.  But it's such great entertainment, a thrill every minute!
I'm being lazy this semester, only taking one class right now, although I may pick up another during the second mini-session.  I'm going to spread my two year program out to three years.

Anonymous said...

The weather has been amazing.... and a mild winter would be a delight. I could do with a little less shoveling!!! judi

Anonymous said...

Aww, great kittie.
V