Monday, July 12, 2004

CALLING ALL PROTECTORS OF THE CONSTITUTION

For anyone who has been living under a rock recently – this is an alert. The "Federal Marriage Amendment" will most likely be brought to a vote this week, perhaps as early as Wednesday. This, as surely everyone now knows, is the Christian Right’s answer to equal rights for all: an amendment to the Constitution of the United States LIMITING THE DEFINITION OF MARRIAGE AS BEING BETWEEN ONE WOMAN AND ONE MAN. OR, ONE MAN AND ONE WOMAN, AS THEY PROBABLY PUT IT. In any case, definitely nothing in which us queers have any right to partake. Dressed-up cats (please go read this, it's really very funny.) either.

So, here’s what to do: all of the following sites have information and ways you can quickly direct your thoughts and words on this to your President and Congresspeople; petitions, phone numbers, etc. Please choose one of the sites (or, why not ALL of them?) and take action to let our leaders know that this is a nation of diverse peoples, most of whom believe that we all deserve the same rights no matter our differences of race, creed, national origin, OR sexual preference/identity.

Sites: MoveOn.Org/unitednotdivided

         Actforchange.com

         People for the American Way

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES.  I did sign the move-on petition.  In my comments to the president I asked him what he would say to his Lesbian and Gay citizens of our country to convince them to stay in American if this Amendment passes.  Then I asked him what he would have said to a German Jew in 1933?  Once you open the doors for unequal treatment under the law for any class of citizens, regardless of your rationale, you unleash the monsters of persecution.

Anonymous said...

I sent a message to my representative Zach Wamp (yes, that's really his name) via Act for Change a couple of days ago.  Don't know how much good it'll do, but...

Anonymous said...

In the chaos of family life...it's so hard for me to stay abreast of important issues.  I appreciate that you bring these things to our attention.  I have visited MoveOn and made my feelings known.
:)

Anonymous said...

This is the message I sent with my MoveOne signature:
"I am a heterosexual and a Catholic. I consider the proposed amendment an outrage. When government begins to sponsor discrimination, and tries to enlist churches to support that agenda, that government must be changed."

Anonymous said...

I just visited all three sites, and I'm choosing Actforchange.  I know you're not feeling well, and I want to thank you for the trouble you go through to talk important things that I don't hear about from anywhere else.