Sunday, July 18, 2004

TEXAS TRIP: WILDFLOWER CENTER, II

The Wildflower Center is so many things: a horticultural research facility, a place to gather inspiration for one's own gardens, a library, a place to bring children (there is a children's house, and children's garden among the many features), a place to just go get away from urban hustle and bustle.  Most of my day was spent in the company of birds and butterflies (there is also a butterfly house where native butterflies are visible in all their lifeforms, from egg to chrysalis to emerging wings), a few of the gardeners, a family or two.  The heart of the Center is the area known as the Display Gardens:

    
            DISPLAY GARDENS, LONG VIEW WITH GARDENER

Each square bed is an example of a different kind of garden.  They don't look very spectacular at a distance; bear in mind these all are using native plants, not showy hybrid flowers.

 
     SAGE GARDEN, CLOSE UP

SHADED WALKWAY, ONE ON EITHER SIDE OF DISPLAY GARDENS.

                                             
FLOWERS BY PATH

                                                
ROCK ROSE, ON ROCKS!

The Center hosts classes and workshops all through the year.  Doesn't this look like a lovely place place to learn some new horticultural skills? Or wreath-making, or landscape design? 


The designers put in small pools and streams throughout the main area of the Center, providing lifespace for frogs, turtles, acquatic plants and other lifeforms.  They also provide the delicious sound of water trickling over stones, a cooling sound on a hot day.


ANOTHER PLACE TO SET A SPELL

After all my visits here, this time I found a new area.  I don't know if it's new, or if I've just never discovered it on previous trips.  It's another area of trails on the opposite side of the acreage, where a huge experiment is ongoing.  The researchers are playing with what is known as a savannah, trying to approximate nature's own effects.  They are burning some areas, mowing others, letting others stand.  Savannahs disappear easily, turning into either woodlands - if left to grow unchecked - or meadows, if mowed down or cropped by animals regularly.  I did take pictures of this area, but they would only interest serious savannah-studiers.  So I give you just this one, the place where the trail begins - a welcoming place in Texas, waiting for your feet to step out and explore it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

These pictures are beautiful.  The display garden looks so peaceful.  There is just something about native plantings..they give a different feel than a garden of hybrids.  I really like the photo of the walkway along the sides.  It's hard to believe this is located in the middle of urban sprawl.  Thank goodness Ladybird knew that value of preserving what is natural and fostering environmental awareness.

Anonymous said...

I loove the pictures! I am sure I'd love to visit a place like that.  

Sounds like you had quite a trip--providing plenty of stuff for fond memories. :-)
Donna

Anonymous said...

Great pictures!  I would love to visit Austin someday, and this will be on my list when I do!  Thanks for sharing (but PLEASE don't feel obligated to look at all of mine)  :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures.  It looks so calm and serene, and the natural plant life they showcase here only adds to its beauty.

Anonymous said...

I have to go to this place.  I cannot believe how beautiful it is, just from your pictures.  The only time I've ever been to Texas was a stopover at the airport.  I've always wanted to visit Houston, for the space center, and San Antonio, for the beauty, and now I have a third thing there that I have to see.

Wow.