Tuesday, July 20, 2004

UNFAIR, UNBALANCED, CHEAP AND TRASHY

Here is the text of a message received last night from MoveOn.org.  I am one of those over 25,000 people who gathered in living rooms across the country to watch the film "Outfoxed."  I don't get Fox "News" Channel, nor any of the other so-called news cable channels, so this was a truly eye-opening experience for me.  I watch PBS, listen to NPR, occasionally check in with one of the main network channels to see what they're doing with news. Because I have been this innocent and stupid about the way many Americans receive their "reporting" on events both domestic and abroad, I haven't been able to fathom how GWB's figures could be holding in the polls, how anyone in this country could still be planning to vote to bring back the horrors of this administration.  However, I see clearly now, the rain is gone.  The unbelievable pandering to the ignorance, docility, willingness to be led by the nose, of large numbers of my fellow Amurricans explains so very much.  I came home from the movie and ensuing discussion with the worst headache of my life, thought I was having a stroke.  I couldn't sleep most of the night, thinking over what I had just seen.

If you haven't seen this movie, please find a way to do so.  If you don't belong to MoveOn.org, please sign up.  Please sign the petition referenced in the message below to challenge this outfit's slogan of "fair and balanced."  Never have I seen anything on any medium LESS fair, less balanced.  How  could anyone who knows how Fox News operates have the gall to criticize Roger Moore's work, which doesn't call itself "news" OR "fair and balanced?"  Click the link, sign the petition, send it to everyone you know.

More "Outfoxed" links:  Fox News: Unfair & Unbalanced, and Outfoxing the Conservatives.

From MoveOn:

Last night, over 25,000 people gathered in living rooms across the nation to see Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism. It was an inspiring turnout. And we saw just how Fox News delivers the Republicans' talking points under the guise of a news broadcast.

Raising the stakes, Common Cause and MoveOn filed a complaint this morning with the Federal Trade Commission challenging Fox News' deceptive advertising slogan "fair and balanced."

We need yourhelp. Sign our Fox petition and join in our complaint to the FTC and Congress at:

http://www.moveon.org/fox/

We need to add hundreds of thousands of signatures and comments by Wednesday, so that the FTC and Congress know they've got to deal with this issue. The challenges to Fox's partisanship are mounting. Not surprisingly, Fox hasn't offered any real defense. Instead, they have responded by attacking former employees who are speaking out. It's crucial that we demonstrate public support for these courageous journalists and voice our disgust with Fox's deceptive advertising.

And we really need to spread the word about this campaign. On the petition page, there's a really horrifying but funny video clip from the film highlighting Bill O'Reilly's hypocrisy. After signing and giving your comment, you can send the petition and this clip to friends to keep the ball rolling.

Join us in taking on Fox at:

http://www.moveon.org/fox/

This is just the beginning of our Fox campaign. In this election year, nothing could be more important than demanding fair coverage in the press. We're putting all the media on notice that we will accept no less.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Faux news, the right-winger's choice.

Anonymous said...

I wrote an entry today that mentioned a friend of my Dad's who thinks Faux is the only channel that shows all sides of the story.  When we laughed at him for saying that, he looked confused and replied, "Well, that's what THEY say."  My dad, who supports Bush, commented that they all have their biases.  But I know he doesn't watch FOX.

Anonymous said...

I hate Fox with a vengeance.  I'm going to order the video and have an Outfoxed party, although my crowd already knows how manipulative and conniving it is.  It's ironic that the critics of Michael Moore hold him to a higher standard than this "fair and balanced" channel which has the civic and moral responsibility as journalists--if we can even call them that--to report the truth.  

Incidentally, did you know that the British Ofcom [Office of Communications] actually chastised Fox for misinformation and being in violation of regulations requiring news outlets to be truly fair and balanced?  Imagine that, a country that legally requires objectivity in reporting:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/7/19/153441/151

Anonymous said...

I can't figure out why Fox news is so bad, when their other programming is so...um...elegant?

Anonymous said...

An "Outfoxed" party sounds pretty good.  I hate Fox News, sometimes my mouth just hangs opens when I stand there and hear the crap that comes out of Bill O'Rielly and Sean Hannity's mouth.  And people are just lapping it up, with no questions what so ever.  It is unreal.  Did you see Ted Rall with Sean Hannity.  I love Ted Rall!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that I FINALLY got my copy of Outfoxed on Tuesday (they were backordered) and watched it yesterday.  I knew they were bad, but I never realized HOW bad.  It's definitely worth watching, and John and I plan to buy some as Christmas gifts!