Monday, July 26, 2004

D-DAY

Our Sussex Cty for Kerry group had the July meeting last week, the subject was the environment, so I had a large part in preparing the agenda and delivering it.  It was a great meeting, the group grows larger every month, and the contacts I'm making with other progressive folks in the area are really psyching me up.  The weekend was spend on voter registration near the movie complex that is still playing F9/11, and this is a process that I am enjoying immensely.  We are using the federal reg forms and so are able to register people from almost all states, which is a big plus, as this is a high tourist area and we get lots of out-of-staters.  Because we are using these forms, not state forms, we're also able to be partisan and feature Kerry/Edwards materials at our table.  Registered voters are stopping for buttons, bumper stickers, flyers, etc.  Donations are also high.  The positive response outnumbers the negative by a high margin.

Yes, I'm a happy camper - the Red Sox won yesterday, the action is revving up in Boston, Teresa Heinz/Kerry is in fine feisty form, and I registered a lot of young voters this weekend. 

Indeed, the Democratic Convention starts today in Boston and I'm really wishing I still lived a few T-stops from downtown right now.  More interesting stuff will be happening outside of the Fleet Center than in it, is my guess, as many progressive groups will be hosting events of their own in various venues around town.  But I'm in Delaware, not Boston, and I couldn't afford to go up there and spend the week, so here I am watching from afar.  Old Hickory has a good entry about the convention today, and he's right when he says that conventions are for poliltical junkies as flames for moths, windshields for bugs, etc.  I know it's a show, I know it's scripted, I know every moment is planned, every move is watched, every balloon that falls is counted like sparrows by God - but I still can't help myself.  I'll be watching all week. Thursday night I'll be watching at a big party the county Dems are having at the beach: food, booze, live band, big screen TV, call-in from John Edwards, all donations accepted, thank you very much.

Because I am spending most of my time either in local political action, or watching the convention (or reading blogs about it) I won't be posting much this week is my guess.  An interesting new factor for this year's conventions is that blogs are getting credentialed to attend, and there will be a lot of info online that you may not find elsewhere.  The wonderful site  cyberjournalist has a listing of blogs  credentialed for this convention, also media outlets that will be blogging as well as other forms of news outletting.  I will be checking in with some of these during the week myself.  This is the official site for the convention itself, and it will be hosting a bunch of stuff, video and audio, online as well.

For hometown blogging with a political flavor, keep reading my friends at:  DeProfundisOld Hickory's Weblog, Progressive Musings, WhoCaresWhatIThink?, 2004 Presidential Election, Tank Gurl's Two Cents, Random Thoughts.   Yep, they're all "liberal" journals, those of you who want the other side - you know where they are.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember when you said you weren`t going to do too much?
Great work!
V

Anonymous said...

Watching the opening of the Democratic Convention, I had a feeling of optimism that reminded me of watching the election returns of 1992 when we defeated the first Bush. This election will be won, and our democracy will survive because of people like you, unafraid, and engaged in the interactive process of freedom. We are winning! Fight the good fight!

Anonymous said...

I so want to watch the convention, but I can't seem to be able to catch time to turn on my TV anymore.  In every election since I've turned 18, I have been glued to the TV during election season...I don't know what the difference is for me this year, except that I'm just so tired.  I just know I'm going to miss something great by not watching, I know exactly what you mean, scripted or not!

Anonymous said...

From one Voter Registrar to another: KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!  We begin our next Voter Registration Push in mid-September.  Right now we're slogging to sway the majority to vote against Missouri's Anti-Gay Marriage Amendment.  In Bible-Belt Missouri we're the underdogs.  True, LGBT persons are underdogs just about everywhere in America, but here it's still politically allowed to indulge in homophobic slurs and insult.  It's grim, but there is a chance.  Keep us in your thoughts.