Wednesday, July 21, 2004

WEDNESDAY FUNNIES, WHY NOT?

This is today's cartoon offering from The Center for American Progress, a fine site all progressives should occasionally check out. They send me a daily update on the issues; sometimes I read it, sometimes I don't.  I get so many emails and updates from so many sites and organizations that if I'd be in a soft room in restraints with a feeding tube down my throat if I read them all.  Cartoons always help, as our friend at Progressive Musings well knows.  Did you, by the way, know that Doonesbury has been interviewing Rupert Murdoch all this week in the daily strip?  Trudeau is even more on top of current events than ever.  And, by the way, MoveOn and Common Cause are sponsoring a showing of "Outfoxed" for our reps in The House this evening.  Call yours and let him/her/them (here in DE I only have one, imagine that!) know you, as a constituent, would like for them to attend.  And then pay attention to having the FCC do something about the "fair and balanced" slogan. 

Since coming back from Texas, I've been churning away on political work - doing voter registration, which turns out to be a lot of fun, actually.  I'm enjoying it very much, especially talking to young people who are registering for the first time.  Have also been doing lots of online research and working on papers and flyers for the Issues Committee of Sussex County for Kerry.  Our monthly Meet-Up is tomorrow night, and our topic is the Environment.  So you know I've been working like gangbusters to get stuff ready for that.  Next project is getting handouts ready for the Hispanic Festival next month.  The Republicans have been working hard to get into the Hispanic community here over the past four years.  I have constantly criticized the Democrats for failing to do the same.  There aren't many citizens yet among this population, but there will be soon enough.  Itwould be very stupid to neglect making inroads of information and contact in a group of people whose vote will one day matter very much. 

One of the things I get often, not maybe daily, but at least weekly, is Mark Morford's column from the San Francisco Chronicle.  Mark is a wild man who writes with seemingly no editorial oversight about anything that is on his mind.  What a job.  Here's the link to his column from today, called "Rig My Election, Please."  In case you don't have time to read the whole thing, he is, in this column, reading my mind about the possibilities that lie before us.  I give you his closing paragraphs:

"So, then, let this be a warning: Get ready. Expect the unexpected. Watch the headlines, look to the skies, dust off your stash of duct tape. Because Karl Rove and the BushCo war hawks and the corporate cronies who run the show aren't about to go down without a screaming, sickening, fiery fight.

And if BushCo has proven anything in the past four violent, budget-gutting, honor-molesting, nearly unbearable years, it's that there ain't no international law that can't be broken, no fear synapse that can't be hammered to death, no fraudulent power tactic that can't be abused. Anything is possible. You have been warned. God bless America."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great!   I copied that!   Will pass it on!
V

Anonymous said...

Passed the Mark Morford article on to some of my co-workers.  I agree.  I don't think we've seen anything yet.  Expect the worst.

Anonymous said...

As you know, I'm a fan of political humor myself [the funny ones that is, which conservative cartoons are not].  Thanks for pointing out the Doonesbury series on Murdoch this week, that shouldn't be missed.

Thanks to you I've discovered Mark Morford.  His satire on Bush praying to Jesus was hilarious.  This one a good reminder that this election is the Battle for Middle Earth and we should be prepared and ready.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like fun, registering people...you make me ashamed that I'm not doing more.  

I love how you find all these articles and tell me about issues that I don't know about...here in Louisville, the Courier-Journal mostly writes about tobacco settlements!

Morford's wording, "screaming, sickening, fiery fight", illustrates my fears for the next few months exactly.  November can't come fast enough.  I was bitterly disappointed four years ago and I feel even worse now.  How can the current state of politics make me feel squeamish?  But it does...