Sunday, July 11, 2004

IT'S MY PARTY AND I'LL CRY IF I WANT TO

Thank you for responding so sweetly to my Shameless Birthday Hustle.  and Viv, you can snag anything you want.  you are the Ur journal lady.  i'm flattered you'd want a graphic of mine.  about my birthday - i'm sorry to say it's been hell.  this rash has only spread and multiplied and gotten so much worse that i spent my entire birthday weekend bitching, moaning, scratching, and whining.  i almost went to the ER in Lewes tonight, i was so worried about the way it's creeping closer to my actual eyes.  but in the end i guess the ER is worse than the rash, because i didn't go.  i couldn't bear the thought of sitting there for the ten hours needed to get taken care of in an ER. 

i'm quite sure it's not poison ivy.  it may be poison oak, which my sister tells me is so virulent you can just pick it up on the wind.  how long does such a thing take to show up?  the only places i could have contacted any virulent flora or fauna were in Austin (Wildflower Center) on Weds, or in that Virginia rest stop on Friday.  and the rash started showing up Saturday morning.  any thoughts on this, anyone?

now i'm going to take a massive dose of benedryl, plaster myself with caladryl and sleep.  hoping the morning finds me both looking and feeling less monstrous.

P.S. - my weekend assignment haiku are in TheBiblioPhiles, my book journal.  South Beach snack haiku, yet already.  three of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ack! I hope you feel better soon. This sounds absolutely dreadful...!!!  :(

Anonymous said...

Poison Ivy or Oak is not to be triffled with.  You need to see your doctor as it may require steroid intervention.  Over-the-counter benedryl and caladryl are barely adequate for symptom-management and nearly useless in helping you heal.  Six years ago I contracted Poison Ivy while clearing the weeds in front of our Ozark condominium.  As yourself, I avoided going to my Internist -- it's ONLY Poison Ivy afterall -- only to see it spread and become infected.  Even with the steroids, I had to endure another two weeks of sleepless nights and agony.  My thoughts are with you.  BTW, my doctor tells me Poison Ivy/Oak are becoming far more toxic.  These plants are at war with humans -- and I think they're winning.  And, yes, the toxins can be air-borne, especially when the plants are being burned.  Their oil is carried in the smoke.  UGH!