Tuesday, March 23, 2004

ABSENT-MINDED PROFESSOR MUCH?

about once a week or so i forget where i parked my car on campus, and end up traipsing from one side of the place to the other.  sometimes i also forget whether i was driving the mazda pickup or the matrix, so i don't know if i'm looking for the wrong vehicle in the right place, or the right vehicle in the wrong place. yeah, i'm old, but not THAT old.  it's just that i'm usually wildly pulling in five minutes before my first class starts, leaping out and running in the nearest building without paying much attention to what i'm doing.  hours later when my mind and body are reunited for practical matters,  original parking is but a fuzzy haze.  and, when it's made even more complicated by something like leaving a night class at the break to sprint home and pick up a disc i forgot, then REparking and going back for two more hours of class - i'm truly screwed.

which was the case last night.  but as i was searching through the rapidly emptying parking lots (library?  Jason Bldg?  Student Services Bldg?) under the incredibly clear stars, wildly wheeling show of planets now occurring, i smelled THE FIRST SKUNK OF SPRING.  loud and clear, permeating all space everywhere, sharp and strong, an unmistakeable message.  and suddenly, even though the temp was dropping into the twenties - for the first time i believed that spring is here.  and had a little rising of the heart, a spurt of hope.  after a truly wretched day, i might add.   weird, huh?  crocuses, daffodils, robins, didn't quite get me where this sudden whiff of animal did - to a sensory realization of spring's arrival.

so, just wanted to say i'm here, busy and crazy, with hopes i'll return to regular posting soon.  13 class days til spring break.  oh, but, who's counting?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel ! Seasonal breaks are nice to have to look forward to! That's one of the biggest things I miss about not being on an academic calendar. As for cars, I've often forgotten where I've parked. It's happened to many times to count!

Anonymous said...

I thank God for my car alarm and use it for a homing beacon in those instances. So I go thru the parking garage playing "Marco-Polo" with my Acura and just hoping I'm on the correct level! ~Holly

Anonymous said...

I was about to suggest that you do what Holly over there does, but of course, you have to remember first in what general area you forgot it. Another solution might be to buy a handheld voice recorder (some phones now come with them) and quickly record a note to yourself where the car is. Another way, which works for me, is to say out loud to yourself where you parked the car. Somehow that sticks in my head!

Anonymous said...

storing a bright yellow kayak on the roof is very useful in locating the car when my brain no longer retains infomation leading me in the right direction. hitting the electronic panic button on the keyring also helps if i'm in the general vicinity. it annoys the hell out of other people. this pleases me.

Anonymous said...

all the helpful suggestions, including the bright yellow kayak, Donna, only will help if i'm any closer than a mile to the car. i'm usually not. when i forget, i REALLY forget. i'm not talking what row, or what level, i'm talking all the way across the campus. through buildings, walkways, paths, corridors, other parking lots. the parking on this campus is hyperinconventient anyway. and as an adjunct faculty member i can't get a faculty parking permit. oh well, it's how i get my exercise!

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad. I always remember where I park my car when I get out of it at work (only because I try to park in the same general location,) but today I unfortunately forgot to take the key out of the ignition before I locked the door and slammed it shut. My car is still at work and I am at home. Where's the spare key, you ask? That hasn't been determined yet.

Anonymous said...

I lose my car frequently too and use my daughter as its search engine. She knows the first thing I'll say when we re-enter any large parking lot is, "Now, where did we park?" Our first skunk has made its presence known as well, and one of the pups is mightly lonely because of it. Anyway, it's so good to feel spring coming.

Anonymous said...

Keep it up, mari, not long to go!!!!!
Vince

Anonymous said...

This is the FUNNIEST thing I have read today!!

Anonymous said...

I know you can smell spring in the air...but I hadn't really though that the smell was SKUNK!! LOL!! I'm so far behind...you're break may already be here. Enjoy it....and enjoy the return of spring.