Friday, March 12, 2004

PARA LA GENTE DE MADRID

Since i first read about it yesterday i've been able to think of little other than the ghastly tragedy in Madrid.  there's nothing to say, nothing to add to the terrible facts.  the perpetrators are as yet unknown, with both ETA and Al-Queda possible suspects. there's amazing photos here of thousands and thousands of anti-terrorism demonstrators in the streets of Madrid, under umbrellas in the rain, as well as in Pamplona and European cities. all i have to offer is this poem by García Lorca, the guitar weeping, weeping without stopping.

    

   La Guitarra
Empieza el llanto
de la guitarra.
Se rompen las copas
de la madrugada.
Empieza el llanto
de la guitarra.
Es inútil callarla.
Es imposible
callarla.
Llora monótona
como llora el agua,
como llora el viento
sobre la nevada.
Es imposible
callarla.
Llora por cosas
lejanas.
Arena del Sur caliente
que pide camelias blancas.
Llora flecha sin blanco,
la tarde sin mañana,
y el primer pájaro muerto
sobre la rama.
Oh, guitarra!
Corazón malherido
por cinco espadas.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah,That`s Wonderful,Marigold...I copied it and sent to a very good female friend in Puerto Rico who has been to Madrid many times!!! Thanks,
Vince

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link. What a horrible thing! I set my tv to wake me up with BBC news at 6 am every morning, and that was the first thing I heard that day. Words seem inadequate.

Anonymous said...

That poem is beautiful, even with my rudimentary knowledge of Espanol. It was a horrible event. I'll never understand this type of behavior in the name of God or any cause. The reaction of the people in Madrid was amazing.

It's me, the one you've been hounding to get AIM so I can post comments. Finally got an AIM thing. Let the flood of emails from AOL begin. Screen name should make sense given my birthplace.