Tuesday, March 2, 2004

DAMAGE DONE - Part 1 of 3

The International Club's trip to Baltimore on Saturday was a huge success.  the weather was perfect for such an excursion, everyone was in high spirits on the bus trip up, sound asleep with their mouths hanging open on the trip back.  in between there was ice skating at an outdoor rink - for most of these students it was their first time on ice.  i couldn't get on the ice because of a painful bonespur on my ankle (a boot would have been torture), but, as one guy said, i was the "coach."  only a few sat out the humiliation of falling and sprawling, the rest were great sports. then over to Harbor Place for lunch (a crabcake dinner for me, Chinese buffet for most of the students) and on to the National Aquarium.  i love the Aquarium, any aquarium, but this one is spectacular.  however.  there were a gazillion people in there appreciating it that day.  the heat was intolerable, the crowds literally breathtaking. after an hour without air claustrophobia overwhelmed me, and i split for Barnes & Noble, an iced latte and the huge magazine rack. 

and then the huge magazine rack overwhelmed me.  my choices doomed me to despair:  The Nation and Mother Jones.  i'd been wanting to read the RFK, Jr. article "Junk Science" in The Nation, and i did.  it's on alternet now, so you can go check it out for yourself. it's kind of a followup to his Rolling Stone article i referenced in a series of earlier posts.  it's about this administration's campaign to "suppress science... that threatens the profits of its corporate paymasters or challenges the ideological underpinnings of their radical anti-environmental agenda." and it's another terrifying read.  some quotes from the conclusion of the RFK article in............Part 2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! I love aquariums too. I go when I can, in New Orleans, Baltimore and Boston in the last few years. I want to visit those in Charleston and Chattanooga sometime. When I was little, we lived within walking distance of the Cleveland aquarium and my mom used to take us there a lot! Now mostly I watch my one lone fish, Kyle, a 4 inch long pink kissing gourami.