Wednesday, March 17, 2004

General Mayhem (Sir!)

no time right now for the kind of reading i need to do in order to write a coherent entry on any environmental topic.  i'm busy with school and life, trying to help my spanish class make it through this semester.  they're my main priority right now.  many of these people have never studied another language, seem to have no idea how a language works at all.  including their native one.  those who've had spanish or french in high school are doing better than the rest of them.  i'm giving remedial classes in my "spare" time for small groups, and spending a lot of time making handouts to help with grammar points.  the text we're using is not at all user-friendly, and they find it very confusing.  so, that's where i am. 

i've just done a long entry in The Biblio Philes on Life of Pi, as i AM doing sanity-reading. it's what got me through a difficult childhood and adolescence, here's hoping it'll get me through the semester and maybe even the months leading up to the election.  the few Bush campaign ads i've caught on TV have driven me to homicidal rage.  it's a wonder the TV screen is still intact.  why isn't that man's nose 18 inches long, i ask you?  i'm also trying to keep up with world news, another reason for keeping the sanity-reading. there are those who'd call it "escape" reading.  but they'd be wrong.  there's no escape, i'm afraid.  reality is everywhere, and it's all so frightening. 

our spring break is not for another three weeks.  everybody's kids who go to other schools are heading to florida, sun, fun, hangover heaven.  oh to be twenty again.  no, not really. just kidding.  but oh to be on spring break.  hanging on by my fingernails.  okay, enough of this.  is my real president on TV tonight?  going to check the schedule.  another escape fantasy, The West Wing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oo. Life of Pi! I've been interested in that for a while...I'm off to check out your entry!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I think watching political commercials is another stress you could do without. ;-)

I didn't know you taught Spanish! I took Spanish in HS and college. Do I know diddly squat? Noooo.... I so wish I could become fluent, but I'm thinking it takes a little something extra besides the way we learned it in school. It worked well for learning to read and write the language, but not to understand the conversation..

Good luck with your busy times. :-)