Wednesday, March 10, 2004

MARCH ETERNAL - Part 1

to continue the theme i began this morning:  march goes on forever, doesn't it?  and ever and ever.  it's the hardest time of year for me, personally and professionally.  though the Bradford pears everywhere have fat buds waiting to burst into white clouds of blossom, it's been evilly cold and windy today, possible snow flurries tonight.  one of the reasons the month is so difficult for me is that my mother died (many years ago now) on St. Patrick's day, a day just like this.  she was the consumate gardener, a witch in the garden, magical with herbs and flowers. when i came into her hospital room that day she asked me what the weather was doing.  when i told her it was snowing, she exclaimed in despair.  she died late that night, and i can't help but think that weather report had something to do with it.

most schools have a spring break about this time, for very good reasons.  not DTCC, no, at this college they give an extralong break for the winter holidays, then we slog on til Easter.  and for me right now it's certainly slogging.  i haven't been exactly inspired in my journaling, no time to research, think, write.  it's midterms, make-up tests, student essays, that feeling of being stuck in the middle of something that's going nowhere.  yet i know that all too soon somehow time will accelerate mysteriously and i'll be panicking over uncovered material.  life, its own self.  (Continues in Part 2)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I have got to start coming over here more. I so enjoyed your thoughts. I also scrolled down to take the Weblog test but the page would not connect. I will take it later and let you know my results. Well, you know if i'm not here, where I will be. Just wanted you to know I paid an extra visit today. :-)
~RC~

Anonymous said...

March sucks! It wouldn't be so bad if you couldn't see the signs of Spring waiting to happen everywhere. My crocuses are so totally tardy this year. Do you think that they, like me, are looking for the snooze button, just wanting that extra ten minutes of sleep?

Anonymous said...

My grandmother, who I adored, died on St. Patricks Day in 1991. It's a personal day of mourning for me.

Anonymous said...

March is sometimes a wonderful month here in the South. Temps in the 60's and the occasional 70, but just when you think Spring is here to stay, Winter comes back to bite you on the ass! It's been pretty lamb-like so far this year.